Foreign Pilot License Conversion

As the aviation industry grows at an exciting pace, countries all over the world need pilots more than ever. Many foreign pilots are traveling to the United States to continue their flight training to include pilots already licensed in their home country. Foreign pilots who are already licensed can follow a streamlined process for the training requirements to obtain FAA certificates. Because this process can be confusing and raise a lot of questions, here are the details for how to convert a foreign pilot license to an FAA pilot certificate.


The process to convert your foreign pilot license to a FAA pilot certificate is surprisingly easy. There are three requirements that all foreign pilots must meet:

  1. You must be able to speak, read, and understand the English language.
  2. You must possess a green card or one of the following: B-1 (business), B-2 (tourist), F-1 (student), J-1 (exchange visitor), M-1 (student) visa or be visiting from a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
  3. You must hold a third class (III) FAA medical certificate.



The first step of the Foreign Pilot License Conversion process must be completed prior to your arrival in the United States. It begins with the verification of your present foreign pilot license by the FAA. Fill out the downloadable form (AC Form 8060-71) and fax it to 405.954.9922 or mail it to:

Federal Aviation Administration Airmen Certification Branch
AFS-760 P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0082



Federal Aviation Administration

Verification and Pilot License Currency: The FAA will verify the validity and currency of your license with your home country’s aviation administration.

FAA Verification Letter: Once completed the FAA will send a verification letter back to your home address. This process could take up to 6 weeks so do not schedule any travel until then. Upon arriving in New Bern, NC (KEWN), please report to D2 Flight Academy with the following documentation:

  • Verification letter
  • Logbook
  • Foreign Pilot License
  • Foreign Pilot Medical
  • Passport

FAA Medical Examination

A minimum of III Class FAA medical examination will be required at this point. You can comply by meeting with our on-site aeronautical medical examiner or by getting your FAA medical in your home country.


FAA Office Review (FSDO)

Once this is completed, we will schedule an interview with the local FAA office (FSDO) or an FAA designated pilot examiner (DPE). During the short interview, the FAA inspector or DPE will have the opportunity to meet you, review your information and verify that you speak, read, and understand English. If everything is complete and accurate the temporary FAA certificate will be processed. A practical test is not required.

For the interview you must provide the following:

Completed a FAA Form 8710 (your instructor is going to do that electronically thru IACRA, an FAA online platform), FAA DPE fee, logbook, passport, and all pilot and medical certificates mentioned above.

Temporary Pilot Certificate

The candidates ground school and flight training proficiency can begin once they obtain their temporary pilot certificate. Our training program will be uniquely tailored to fit the needs of the student as they pertain to the aircraft check out requirements.

Notes About Your FAA Certificate

Your FAA certificate is strictly based on your foreign pilot license. This means that you are required to carry both documents with you when you fly. The foreign license must be always valid and current.

You will be required to register with the TSA to receive flight training which leads to an additional pilot license (like an instrument or multi-engine rating) to your FAA certificate.